Friday, November 15, 2013

Inquiry Based Instruction

This was definitely the most challenging lab to date, but then again, that does make sense, seeing as we are nearing the end of the semester!  When I began to think about where to even begin planning, I did not know where to start.  We were first given the rubric that showed the five features and the amount of Learner Self-Direction.  The five features of IBI include: Engagement, Evidence, Explanation, Connection, and Communication. Having the rubric in my hands caused me to see where I was trying to go, but I was still unsure of how to get there. 

The next step in the learning process was taking a field trip to see IBI in action.  I really liked visiting Greenwood to see how Mr. Clark included IBI in his classroom.  The key element to making this trip beneficial, however, was bringing Mr. Clark in for further explanation and questioning the following Friday.  While being in the classroom was nice, there was not much time for Mr. Clark to dedicate to us, seeing as he had students that needed to take precedence.

After all of the instruction, it was time to put the knowledge I had learned to use.  I by no means expected to rock out a perfect lesson with a perfect result.  I knew that this experience was really going to provide a (hopefully) fairly large learning curve.  I had a hard time planning for the lab because I struggled to know just how much I should leave for the students to figure out on their own.  I chose to teach essential nutrients in feed concentrates by providing three feed samples and testing solutions for protein, starch, and sugars.  My intent was to have each group test each feed for all three nutrients.  I then figured we could have the students report their findings, and each group could compare to see what results they got and if they were different.  I then wanted them to ask themselves why different groups got different answers.  I was wrong. 

From this, I learned a few things.  The main thing being that IBI is something that requires a LOT of planning.   There is no telling which direction the students may take the lesson, so you need to be prepared for all of those directions.  Questions also need to be formulated before hand.  It is much easier to get students where you want them to be by asking them questions, if the questions are worked through and developed ahead of time.

If I could do this lab over, I would change a few things.
  1. I would try to think of a better interest approach than just using an article.  I really like the idea of bringing literacy into the lesson, however, I believe that we all used this technique because it was shown to us, and I would have liked to try something a little different.  
  2. I would better prepare my questions ahead of time.  I believe I stammered around a lot while I was trying to get the students to develop the question.
  3. Have more test tubes out on the table so students were encouraged to take them and run more than one test.
I definitely have a lot of room for growth, especially with IBI, but I am very glad that I have had this experience so that I feel more comfortable to try this in an actual classroom setting.

6 comments:

  1. Hey Quinn,

    I love how you stated this was a learning curve. I completely agree! I think its ok that we struggled with this and I was happy that those expectations were clear before we presented our lessons. I really appreciated how our instructors took the pressure off on this lab so that we could focus on learning verse performance. I felt this was a good reflection and you are going to be a rockstar!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Quinn!
    Great reflection, Im glad you know exactly how to improve your ibi for next time. it is definitely a struggle but I feel as you become more confident with the material it will go better as will questioning. I struggle with questioning but through practice I think making them think deeper about why gets better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it is definitely important to plan. I think writing questions out fully ahead of time will help us all. I think this is definitely something that will aid you in your future teachings.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good reflection of future improvements, Quinn! I like that you see the importance of content knowledge and preparation... even if your lesson plan doesn't look like it includes a lot of prep :)
    I do think, however, that some sort of literacy strategy is important to begin these labs. Not only do our students NEED to be more scientifically literate (something secondary students are losing these days) but it allows them to start thinking at higher levels so as to help the transition into a strong critical thinking IBI experience!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Being a kick butt educator is all planning for the future! You did a great job with that. I think you also captured an important point with inquiry that we need to be ready as educators for the multitude of ways the lesson can go. However, with the proper background work, we can guide them in the right direction to reach the result we want. Doing so, while staying on the student end of the continuum is the challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Quinn, you nailed it with needing to do a lot of planning. It was crazing what i put into my lab and I didnt have to find the feed. I also like how you decided that you need something other than an article for your interest approach. i personally do not like this as an approach.

    ReplyDelete