Sunday, October 20, 2013

Evaluation of Learning

How does one go about evaluating the learning of each student?  We are taught that everyone learns in different ways, so what is the best way to test students on their knowledge of the material covered?  As I read through the readings dealing with this issue this weekend, I realized that there is no ideal testing scenario, but it is completely necessary.  For this reason, I think that it is important to change up ways in which a student can succeed, so that everyone has a chance to truly show what they know.  For this reason it is not a good idea to simply test with a straight multiple choice type test.  It would be better to incorporate different types of questioning, such as true/false, short answer, essay, etc.
In my mind, a large part of Agricultural Education is learning by doing, or the hands on lab experience.  So, how do we go about assessing the learning that is occurring while out in the lab?  Personally, I do not think that it is enough to grade on solely completion of a project.  I believe that a student should be able to explain what they did and evidence that they not only can do everything, but they also understand why each step was necessary, or why each part was necessary.  To help facilitate and encourage my students to continue to make connections and seek understanding while out in the lab, I will remain engaged with the students and questioning their understanding as they work through the steps. 
 

As I further prepare for my quickly approaching time in the classroom, assessment is something that I continue to worry about.  I want to ensure that I am using both my time and the students time effectively.  I want to see my students succeed.  I want to see them truly get it.  But above all, I want my students to want to learn.  I want to assess them in a way that allows them to show they have learned the content, and to ensure that I have been effective.  I believe that all of these can be tested with an effective form of assessment.

1 comment:

  1. Quinn,

    Where is the ASCD reference? I helps you develop your own professional digital repository/archive of info if you include citations/links to resources.

    Df

    ReplyDelete