Sunday, October 13, 2013

The Problem Solving Approach

Until recently, I have never sat down and thought about how many decisions I make in a day.  Each of us, as individuals, make decisions to solve problems every single day.  However, I never realized the benefit that bringing this approach into a classroom could have.  As I read through the book and articles, I began to think back on my time sitting in the classroom.  Problem solving is a skill that needs to be developed in everyone.  It is a skill that is needed for jobs of any kind.  However, when looking back, I do not remember seeing this approach used very often in any of my classes. So, as a future educator, why would I not take the time to help my students develop a skill that is going to be useful to them no matter where their future takes them? 

As I continued to read about the Problem Solving Approach, I learned that there are six steps that must be followed when executing this technique in the classroom, and they are as follows:
  1. Interest Approach
  2. Objectives to be achieved
  3. Questions to be answered
  4. Problem Solution
    1. Develop possible solutions
    2. Acquire new knowledge, skill, and experience
    3. Formulate conclusions and general principles
  5. Testing solutions through application
  6. Evaluation of solutions
 I also learned that Bradford's IDEAL model for problem-solving is as follows:
  1. Identify the problem
  2. Define the problem through looking at alternatives, brainstorming, and checking out different points of view
  3. Act on the strategies
  4. Look back and evaluate the effects of your acctivity
These two models stood out to me as I read and began to prepare for my teaching lab this week, which is to be a problem-solving approach lesson.  When I first looked over the description for this lab assignment, I was completely confused as to why it was even an assignment, however, after reading through the articles on problem solving the past few days, I am really looking forward to trying to put this into practice.  There are many more principles on how to effectively teach problem solving that will be extremely beneficial as I continue to prepare to use this in my classroom.

As a future educator, it is my hope that I can prepare my students for real life situations and scenarios to the best of my ability.  After completing these readings and attending class on Friday, I truly believe that the problem solving approach is a way to better prepare my students for life outside of my classroom walls. 

Be sure to check back later this week to find out how this approach works when I put it into practice!

1 comment:

  1. Quinn, for future writings, I encourage you to include some multimedia.

    ReplyDelete