Friday, October 4, 2013

Demonstration Lab

When I first read over the requirements for the demonstration lab, I was terrified.  We were required to prepare an Agricultural Mechanics Demonstration, and Ag Mechanics is far from my strong point, or my comfort zone.  When I began to dig deeper and actually pick a topic, I knew that I had to stay within either electricity or plumbing since these are the two ag mechanics units I will be coming.  If I were to step outside either of these areas, I would not have had the opportunity to try something that I could use directly in my student teaching experience.

As I went through the planning process, I decided to pull out a demonstration with electricity since I actually had some experience with it.  My initial thought was to pull together the potato battery lesson and show my students what a complete circut was, as well as demonstrate how potatoes can generate energy (this can also be accomplished with lemons, limes, and other citrus).  When I tried this experiment on my own however, the light was hard to see, and I was concerned about lack of student engagement if the demonstration failed.  I decided then to change my lesson and simply demonstrate the properties of a complete circuit.  This was a change made on Tuesday afternoon, less than 24 hours before my demonstration was due.  Needless to say, I stressed myself out.  Looking back, I learned a lesson that I should have grasped a long time ago.  Good things take time, and in order to accomplish good things, I need to allow myself the proper time to prepare.

Moving into my presentation then, I was given many other great opportunities to learn as well.  I began my lesson, and had my students do the bellwork, however, I don't think anyone actually did the work.  Looking back, I should have had paper provided and communicated that this was an expectation that they needed to have done.  One thing I asked them to do was draw an open circuit and a closed circuit.  If this had been done I believe there would have been a smoother transition into the lesson if I had enforced that the students draw out the different circuits.  This also would have given the students a picture to go back and correct and label as the learned what was going on in a circuit.

To teach my students what was going on in the circuit, I showed a video.  I requested that the students take notes.  Again, I do not think that my students took notes.  I believe that in the future I could provide a worksheet or have a little quiz at the end to hold the students accountable for the information presented.  I do not want my students to check out when a video is shown, I want them to understand that I am showing them valuable material.

Finally, my actually demonstration.  I really like how it worked with having my students come up to see the demonstration up close.  However, I do not think my class of 20 students will be able to see the tiny circuit I had to demonstrate with.  I want to work to come up with a different way to ensure that each student can see and is engaged during the demo.  I provied an operation sheet so that the students had steps to follow along with, I really liked that, however I think I will add pictures for when I use it with my students.

This lab taught me a lot when it came to preparation and presentation.  I know that I still need to work on my enthusiasm as well as classroom managment.  I do feel that classroom management went better this week.  I paired my two chatty and distracted students with other students who were more on task.  I believe that this disabled the distrations the two students were causing by playing with the materials, looking for ways to make the lesson "more interesting."  Looking back I would have separateed these two immediately when I noticed they were sitting together up front for the demonstration.

Overall, this was a great experience.  I look forward to keep growing from here!

9 comments:

  1. I really liked the process you went through Quinn. One of the most important things you did was trying your demonstration before the actual class. This is a simple step that most teachers don't think about, but it is the most crucial to having a successful lesson. It is good you're stretching yourself and completing different lessons in areas you are not as strong. Keep growing and everything will fall into place.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great reflection Quinn, I can see that you are learning - and while many of us learned the hard way this week, we are still learning. You brought up a good point that, in our lab classes, we still must see our peers as students who need to complete the tasks/assignments in order to gain anything from the class session. This is also important for us to truly be able to use them as "students" in something such as a demo - where comprehension of the content is necessary for a successful demonstration of that content. Classroom management was a bit better this week for me too, probably because the lesson was more engaging, making our peers forget their student roles as they were intentionally engaged!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Quinn,
    Overall I thought your demonstration went well. I can see that you put a lot of thought it preparing your lesson. I have definitely learned that I never present my lab the way an anticipated it happening. I think the potato idea would have been really cool, however I think you made the smart choice by changing to the battery. Keep thinking deeply and you will continue to grow and improve.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Quinn,

    You have a great reflection that anyone could read and be drawn towards for advice. I feel that we as teacher candidates are learning the crucial steps to being prepared, as demonstrated by your reflection.

    I think something that could have helped you would have been a diagram of the set up and have the students label the parts of the circuit to see how it operates. This could keep them engaged, yet also allowing them to pay attention to the demonstration. I agree with possibly having a quiz at the end, but I would just give them a blank copy of the labeling worksheet.

    All in all, great reflection!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Quinn,

    I wish that you were not "terrified" of ag mechanics!! Like Dr. Foster says, proper planning prevents poor performance and I think you did fine. I think a take home point of this process is to have fun and not get too worked up. Perhaps the stress you were feeling took away from your lesson a little bit.

    Enthusiasm is something I need to improve on too, and like you said ag mechanics is not my strong suit either. Just try not to get too worried over your lessons!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Quinn,
    You could relay tail that you prepared for this lab. I thought you did a relay great job and made a good chose when the potato didn't work. but may be you could use the potato as an intrastate approach? I feel you handled us well by splitting the groups up for student do student say, and I do agree that a fill in note would have mabe went better for notes on the video. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Quinn,

    Good job this week, I think that what stuck out for me in your reflection was how you learned that good things take time. Its amazing how some people dont understand that. Overall, your lesson was great. Keep up the good work

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great teachers are always looking ahead, and I think you showed that here! You are planning on how your lesson can go and be used for your student teaching. Now that you've done it once, you have a better gauge on what can be improved upon for the next time around! Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Quinn! I like your blog at too was frighted by the demo at first. It however wasn't that mechanics is my weak area, but of what I was going to do. I like how you said that it got better as you prepared and took lots of preparation. Being in your lab, I think you did great. It was a simple subject but yet taught us a lot about electricity through a demonstration which is what we needed to do!

    ReplyDelete