Friday, April 25, 2014

Wrapping Up a Rewarding Experience

I don't even know where to begin.  This week has been both eventful, and rewarding.  From wrapping up classroom instruction, completing assignments, attending Regional Public Speaking, and holding our Athens FFA Banquet, there was never a dull moment.  Though I was extremely busy, this week, along with the entire experience, it was also extremely rewarding. 


I continued instructing both sections of Horticulture this week as we finished up IPM by going over Pesticide Safety, while also working in the greenhouse.  We spent two days going over PPE, first by identifying what Personal Protective Equipment is necessary when handling pesticides, then discussing the importance of PPE by completing an activity.  I had students dress up in different levels of PPE and then go outside to spread "pesticide," which was really granola coated in fluorescent powder. After the activity was completed, we moved back inside and brought out the black light.  We first observed how much pesticide residue was on each individual prior to removal of PPE.  I then had the class predict who they thought was the best protected.  After everyone had made their prediction, we had the students remove their PPE.  We then again turned on the black light to reveal the pesticide residue after the removal.  As predicted, the student with the highest level of PPE was the best protected, and had no residue remaining after the equipment was properly removed.  Today we are going to have a salad day.  We will be using fresh vegetables from our greenhouse to have a little celebration for the hard work that has been put in.  I am excited to see students rewarded for their efforts!


Thursday brought a day with 15 consecutive hours spent with kids.  Though I don't think I am recovered as far as rest goes, I wouldn't have changed anything about it!  The day began by taking a bus of students to Williamsport for the Northern Regional Public Speaking CDE.  We had three Creed speakers and one Extemporaneous.  We also took nine students to a Forestry Field Day put on by the Forestry Department at Pennsylvania College of Technology.  It was a really tough decision to decide if I wanted to stay with the students competing, or go with the forestry students.  I have not had a lot of exposure to forestry, so we decided that it would be a valuable experience for me.  I am extremely glad I went!  We spent the morning going over the use of compasses, GPS units, and various other activities.  After a lunch around their pond, we finished up with a dendrology walk.  It was fun to watch the students see who could identify each tree fastest!  We really appreciate the staff at Penn College for taking the time to work with our students!


Thursday night was the Athens FFA Banquet.  We had over 120 people come out to celebrate the accomplishments of our students throughout the past year.  I really do not have words for this experience.  It took a lot of work to ensure the banquet ran smoothly, but it was beyond worth it.  I am incredibly proud of the success of each of the members.  I have been to a lot of FFA banquets, but always as a member.  Though those were always a great experience, my heart never swelled up with so much pride at any of those.  That blue corduroy jacket can take students as far as they let it, and I can see that my students truly get that!  They all have the potential to do great things, and for that I am so proud. 





Today is a bittersweet day.  This journey has been a challenging one, that is for sure.  There have been times where I questioned myself, and my ability.  But I am here for the kids.  I am here to help them become the best version of themselves that they can be.  I believe with my whole heart that without that motivation I would not have enjoyed this experience.  These students are our future, and without agriculture there is no future at all. Agricultural Education is essential to ensuring a promising future for our nation, and our world.  I believe that these kids will make a positive difference.  I believe that there is no  job out there then that is more important that that of an agricultural educator, and I am honored to be entering the profession.  I cannot thank Mr. David Steinfelt enough for giving me this opportunity, in which I was able to experience everything I had hoped for, and more.

I don't believe that when I walk out those doors today that it will really sink in that my time here as a student teacher is done.  I am sure that tears are possible, and probably even likely, but that is to be expected.  My experience here at Athens has greatly influenced my life.  I can only hope that I left a mark on their lives as well.

As my time here quickly comes to an end, one quote has been running through my mind.   
"Never say goodbye because goodbye means going away and going away means forgetting."
I will never forget my time here, so therefore today is not goodbye.  Today I will simply say see you later.  I know that I will be back a few times before the students complete their school year for various visits.  I know that it won't be the same, but that is okay.  I look forward to moving on to the next chapter of my life, and because of this experience, I will be turning the page with a positive attitude and a different perspective.  The world won't change if we sit around and wait for it.  The world will change when we get up and do something, and I am ready to face that challenge.

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. History didn't end in 2014. Oh this is your old history book! No more chapter to flip in this book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. History didn't end in 2014. Oh this is your old history book! No more chapter to flip in this book.

    ReplyDelete